Some of Steve's racing achievements:
- Subaru Primal Quest race in Colorado 2002
- Speights Coast to Coast a record 9 wins: 1990, 1991, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003
- Mizone Endurazone, winner (Bluff to Cape Reinga)
- Xerox Challenge 1990, Cape Reinga to Bluff, winner
- NZ Mountain bike team member to the World Champs 1990, 1994
- National Downhill Mountain bike Champ 1989
- Mountains to the Sea, winner 1992, 1993, 1996
- South Island Wild-water kayaking Champ 1990
- Australian Subaru Classic series, winner 1991, 1992
- Raid Gauloises (pronounced Gaulwahs)Adventure Team Race, Winners 1989, 1994, 1999
- Canterbury Sportsperson of the Year Award, 1991 and 1998
- Finalist 2002 Halberg Sportsman of the year
- MNZM, (Member of the NZ order of Merit) for services to endurance sport.
Charity work - Steve does a lot of charity work. For example, he has helped Curekids (Child Health research foundation) through an Adventure Race that raised $291,000, and another of his projects, Shrek the sheep, raised $15,000.
Steve has donated his time to Schools to speak to them. He is now a SPARC Ambassador.
He also helped raise money for Burwood Spinal Unit by providing his time,speaking & donating items of clothing.
Steve also donates Speight's Coast to Coast clothing for Charity Auctions.
Steve has & still does a lot of charity work in various forms.
He became interested in sport at Canterbury Uni. Kayaking was his first passion. It all went from there.
Steve has raced the Speight's Coast to Coast race 18 times.
He has won it a record 9 times, in '90', '91', '97', '98', '99', 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003.
Steve used to travel a couple of times a year to compete in Adventure Races which are the most challenging of endurance races. Traversing jungles, swamps, rivers, seas, deserts and mountains as a team, the athletes navigate their way through the course by foot, horse, raft, kayak, bike, and sometimes camel! These races can last as long as 8-10 days continuously. The athletes sleep only if they really need to.
Now, a couple times a year he goes on grand adventures - see the Adventure Section for my current news and adventures!
In Hamilton in 1963. Eldest of four children. Later Steve's family moved to Auckland. He has lived in Christchurch for many years now.
Steve says he wasn't particularly talented at his sport in younger years, and says that as primary school boy, he was usually last in all school sports! Steve has a positive attitude, is determined and has passion for what he does, these qualities have helped him become successful.
Hobbies and Interests
Sport & all things associated with it, like healthy eating, understanding your body, sporting equipment and clothing.
Steve loves all adventure sports. He really enjoys kayaking, mountain biking, orienteering and other forms of adventure racing.
Steve feels very strong about the environment and how we look after it, and he is connected with the Estuary Trust.